Thursday, May 17, 2007

Worship of False Idols

Ok... let me start off by saying that Italians are completely insane! Generally, it is in an amusing and endearing sort of way. Romans are a bit less amusing, though. More crazy. I think it's the heat and humidity. It is intense and the inevitable chafing is bound to bunch anyone's panties.... even a Mediterranean. Rome is complete chaos and exhaustion comes rapidly. Spending the day dodging scooters, rabid drivers, thieves, and peddlers in the blazing heat certainly takes its toll. I hate humidity and I am very tired from 2 months of travel. So, I think I would have enjoyed the city a bit more if I had come at the beginning of my trip. Although, to be perfectly honest, I simply do not understand why Americans like Italy so much?? It's filthy, hot, crowded, expensive, and overrun with North African peddlers and Gypsy thieves! Obviously, it is not my favorite country. I would have much preferred Spain and I do regret choosing Italy over Spain and Morocco. Oh well.... c'est la vie. And another lesson learned! Wow.... I've certainly learned a lot in 2 months....

Any-hoo.... today has been exhausting and somewhat intense! This morning, I headed over to the Cappuccin Crypt. I walked through the dark and cool tunnel and was actually quite disturbed! The bones are older and much more in your face than in Kutna Hora! And, they have children's skeletons as well, including a child's skeleton hanging from the ceiling that is arranged as the Grim Reaper. Oy... they also have lots of skeletons dressed in monk's robes. Very creepy. So, still a bit distressed, I wandered over to the Piazza Repubblica and had a bite to eat before boarding the metro. I was on my way to the Vatican. Even though I am not Christian, I was looking forward to standing in the Sistine Chapel!

After a very hot and sweaty ride, I got to the walls of Vatican City and walked... and walked.... and walked! I was looking for the entrance, and the lines!! But there was none!! After asking several people, I found out the door marked exit was also the entrance. Shit. Their was no one there?! So, I walked back, fearing that the museum was closed, and of course, it was. The one day this month that it was randomly closed was today. Well, I could still go to St. Peter's Sq and the Basilica. So, I headed back in the direction I came and finally came to the archway leading directly into the square. As I stepped through, I marveled at the incredible colonnade. I stepped out into the massive square and took stock of my surrounding. For some reason, I was disturbed. And I walked further into the square, I actually became angry. I'm not really entirely sure why.... pensively, I headed over to the entrance to the Basilica. As I waited in line, I took a good look at everything in the square. There was a banner with the Pope posing for a picture for some special something. Isn't vanity a sin? And greed? As I entered the Papal tombs, this feeling of unrest simply grew. As I briskly walked through, I looked at all the people. It was sad and rather frightening. As I came up to Pope John Paul II tomb, I slowed nearly to a stop. People had fallen to their knees and were deep in prayer. They had lit candles and left flowers and other offerings, including money. As I walked past them in slow motion, I wanted to yank them up off of their feet and shake them. I wanted to scream "The Pope is not God! He is a man !! Don't you realize how far away from God you really are???" Since you can be thrown in jail for speaking ill of the precious Pope, I kept my mouth shut. Although, I could not help shaking my head as I passed. Even that caused the numerous guards to go on alert. They watched me very closely until I had left the tomb. But, to put it in Christian terms, they are essentially worshiping a false idol - the Pope - and that is a big no-no according to the bible!

With my anger mixing with sadness, I went into the Basilica. As I walked in, it was the coldest place I have ever been. God certainly doesn't live there. Although it was gorgeous and an incredible architectural gem, it was spiritually dead. The entire Basilica was created to outdo everyone else, not really as a place of worship. Antithetical to what they preach. Whatever happened to Chastity, Poverty, and Obedience. Or does that only apply to those they rule? I was disgusted, and more than ready to leave. With my heart heavy, I slowly made my way back to the Metro, thinking of how many millions of innocent lives have been cut short in the name of this ridiculousness. It's sad, really. Christians, Catholics in particular, have no idea. They are completely clueless, for the most part, and prefer to be as such. It's a spiritual cop out and equivalent to taking the "Easy Road." They don't realize how far from the truth, and consequently God, they really are. And it is not only Christians. It's most organised religion. They offer "answers," when a true spiritual journey should never provide "answers." you should always find more questions. That's the journey. That is how your soul grows. Religion is so dangerous. Is this really what God would want? And why do people want to believe in a God like that?

OK.... enough of my spiritual diatribe! By the time I got back to the hostel, I was hot, soaked in sweat, and exhausted. This evening has been spent simply relaxing and reflecting. I may go see a movie tonight with this girl I met, but I'm not sure! Tomorrow, I think that I'm going out to Ostia Antic, but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know tomorrow where I ended up going! I have to run.... I think I deserve a Gelato!

No comments: