Thursday, May 03, 2007

Gothic Glory

I really like Vienna! It's urbane and funky all at once! Very cool!! It's an incredible blend of many cultures and it has a very cool vibe!

I had a great day today! I headed out early this morning, looking to get lost! I turned down Neubaugasse and loved window shopping in a the little specialty shops! I found a tiny Viennese toy shop and got a great holiday present for my cousin! I hope she still likes giraffes! It's a cute little wooden one! I thought it would be fun since it's from austria! Now, I have to find something for her brother... you have to make things even when it comes to siblings!! I still have quite a few stops, so I'm sure I will find something! Oh... and excuse to shop!! Hooray!!

So, after walking the entire length of the street, I turned in the general direction of the Old Town and ran into City Hall! Oh my... it's gorgeous!! It is an amazing example of Gothic architecture! Right across the way stood the amazing Burg Theatre! Actually, it's officially the Hoffburg Theatre, but I call it fabulous! They have busts of famous playwrights all around and they produce some amazing shows! So, after having my picture taken in front of both, I headed down towards Votiv Cathedral, which is another stunning example of Gothic Architecture! Wow!! I stopped for lunch and headed back towards the Museum Quartier! I stopped in this little outdoor cafe and enjoyed a cup of real Viennese coffee in Vienna! For about an hour, I sipped strong coffee and people watched! I loved it! I watched an older Viennese woman leisurely sip her coffee. She was wearing all black and she smoked her cigarettes out of a vintage holder! Fabulous! I immediately liked her! And apparently, the Goth / Punk movement is strong in Vienna and I enjoyed watching those crazy kids wander by! So, lifted by the caffeine, I meandered my way back to the hostel!

I am really looking forward to Bratislava tomorrow! It should be intersting!! It's in Slovakia! Apparently, it is beautiful and cheap! A winning combination in my world! It will be a fun day trip! Then I head to Munich on Saturday!! Well, I'll post a blog tomorrow and let you know how it was!!

Choos (Austrian for Good bye!!!)

No comments: