Friday, May 04, 2007

Back in the USSR

I'm in Bratislava, Slovakia! Wow! Talk about a different world! In case reading Bratislava has invoked graphic images from the film "Hostel," worry no more! While the bulk of the city is very Eastern Bloc, the Old Town is gorgeous and it is kind of like Prague, only grittier and less touristy! There are hardly any Americans running about! And, thus far, I have yet to run into any wealthy homicidal psychopaths looking to torture and disembowel an innocent young lass in the comfort of an abandoned warehouse! Well, not many. And if you immediately were reminded of the film "Eurotrip," well, I hate to disappoint you, but the exchange rate is not that great! Spending a nickel here will not dramatically alter the Slovack way of life! $1 USD buys you 25 Slovakian Krowns (Sk). A pack of Marlboro 100's costs 60 Sk, a McDonald's cheeseburger costs 25 Kc, and an ice cream cone with 3 scoops costs 30 Kc. So, you can see where my devotion lies. LOL! That"s approximately $2.40, $1, and $1.10 respectively.

So, the train ride from Vienna was interesting! I met an interesting older Slovakian woman. She did not speak any English, but somehow, I was able to understand her??!!?? She was rapidly speaking a mixture of Slovack and German, and maybe something else as well! She told me all about her family. I learned that her son had married a Czech woman and they moved to Africa. She told me about her grandchildren and her bible and how important it is to her. I honestly have no idea how I was able to understand all of that. Interesting. And she fascinated me. To think of all that she has seen. She was at least 70. I hope she made it home ok. Her bags were very heavy.

Anyway, just over an hour after leaving Vienna, I found myself in a completely different world. Still thinking of the old woman, I made my way outside to smoke a cigarette and get my bearings before changing money and visiting the Tourist Info office. When I stepped out of the train station, I stepped into another world! I speak no Slovack and it was very... industrial. Very Eastern European. Briefly, I questioned my decision to visit. But, I finished my ciggie and headed back in. I found the TI and thankfully, the woman spoke english. She ran down a laundry list of safety precautions (oh, fuck), gave me a map, and wished me a lovely day. Hmmmm... I went to the ATM and tried to pull out a few hundred crowns. I wasn't planning on spending much. Unfortunately, with an American card, there is a minimum of 1000 Kc. Damn. So, I got my $40 worth of Slovakian money and headed out to discover Bratislava.

After dodging thieves and mad homeless Slovacks, I was headed in the right direction. After about 10 minutes, I found myself standing in front of the Presidential Palace. It was nice. The guards were funny! I looked around, and it still seemed like a city to me. Lots of severe lines and uniformity. Characteristic of former communist rule. But, after another 5-10 minutes of walking, I found the Old Town. The requisite Castle on a hill loomed above the city center. It was nice, but rather plain - for a castle. The Old Town is lovely and I can understand why they recommended it! I walked around for awhile, then stopped to get some lunch. I spend the next few hours wandering the narrow cobblestone streets and enjoying the contrast between the old and new! Just like Prague, they have all these hidden alleys and passageways that make it fun to get lost! I stumbled across this big tent with tons of A/V equipment all around. What could it be, you ask? Well, I wondered the same thing! So, I walked around to the front and it was an Avon tent??!! They were gearing up for some big promotional event! So, I made my way back over later in the day! Oh my!! They were blasting 80's music and peddling Avon! I had a flashback to my formative years!! they even wear socks with dress shoes and sandals! Oy vey! The 80's are alive and well! George Michaels is even performing - live! That's, like, totally awesome! He's such a babe! Oh dear - I'm getting old.

But after 5+ hours of hard walking on rough roads, I am tired and my feet are killing me! So, I decided to pop into an Internet cafe and update my blog! I leave for Munich in the morning, and I'm hoping to catch an early train. That way I won"t have to transfer. How lazy is that?! But my pack is heavy and I'm tired. 5 weeks of hard travel is definitely starting to wear on me! I love it, though! But my next adventure will only be 4-6 weeks long. Unless I can afford to stay in single rooms with my own bathroom! And what is the likelihood of that? But the next few weeks should be great! I've decided to spend 5 nights in Munich and do day trips to Fussen (for Neuschwanstein Castle - the "Disney" castle), Rothenburg, Dachau Concentration Camp, and at least one other Romantic Road village! Then, I'm off to Bad Gastein in the Austrian Alps for a few days of rest before heading to Italy. Believe it or not, Italy is the end of my continental travel! After Rome, I head back up to London where I will do a bit more of the UK before heading back to the US!! Hmmmm... that's kind of sad! I love Europe and I am having a blast. Man, Reality Bites! :)

Any-hoo... I am off to find some dinner before heading back to Vienna! My next post will be from the Southern Bavarian city of Munich! I love Lederhosen!!

No comments: