Monday, May 21, 2007

I am.... Batman!

Ok.... so the past couple of days have been interesting. When I went back to my room Sat. night, there was this disgusting old man was sprawled out on a bunk wearing nothing but stained, translucent tighty whiteys!! Oooooohhhh! I so did not need to see that!!!! So, between the heat (they still have not fixed the damn A/C), the bugs, and the dirty old man.... well, I had a restless night.

The next morning, the bites were making me miserable so I actually headed out to the pharmacy to see out some professional assistance. Italian pharmacies are amusing! I did get a tube of cream and headed back to the hostel to slather myself up. I ran into Kate and her friend. We decided to grab dinner at this diner Kate had visited a few nights earlier. So, we hung out drinking wine and eating mediocre italian food. I had the Penne with 4 cheese sauce. It was better tha the Gnocchi. §After dinner, I hung out with this British guy and his Argentinian friend - they both live in Madrid, Spain. It was fun! They are fabulously insane! I love Argentinians! But the cream was wearing off and my patience wearing thin, so I opted for an early bedtime. When I went up to my room, the creepy old man was fully clothed. Thank God...

Today has been very low key. I've made lots of phone calls and read about 500 pages in this book I picked up in Florence. I'll finish it tonight. I woke up with more bites - all the windows in the hostel are wide ope and lacking any screens, so I'm like a buffet. Oy happy happy joy joy. So, I did not really feel like doing much of anything at all. It was so hot that the sweat and oppressive heat were irritating me and my bites. Thankfully, I leave tomorrow and I can't wait to be back in London!! I'm going to go see shows and visit all the markets!! It will be great!! Oh, and my first Diet Coke in quite some time!! Yeaaaa!!! I love London!! So, tomorrow will be errand day! I want to pick up a box of these yummy coconut cookies and do laundry! Then I catch the train around 6pm!! I arrive in Paris i n the morning and have a couple of hours to grab a bite to eat and collect my thoughts before hopping on the Eurostar! I will be back in London by early afternoon!

Only 1 more day in Rome!! Although, I will miss the bats!! Italy is host to the most massive bat population I have ever come across! Starting around 4 -5 pm, the sky is filled with them!! It's like a scene from Pitch Black!! I keep expecting Vin Deisel to come running around the corner to heroically battle the monsties!! I love bats and to see them fill the sky is an impressive sight! And there are 2 distinct kinds - 1 is small with a short wing span and the other is more like fruit bats! Very large wingspan! It's cool!

Any-hoo.... I'm off to grab dinner. My next post will be from London!!

No comments: