Saturday, May 19, 2007

The Fury of Rome

So, last night was a nice, relaxing, and enjoyable evening! I ended up running into this girl Kate who I met at the hostel! We decided to hang out and grab dinner - of course, it was not before we got in trouble with the manager of the hostel! It's a really long story, and quite funny actually, so if you want to hear about it, just ask me about the "Italian Game!!"

It was about 5pm, so it was sort of early, but not really! When we went into the hostel to get the discount card, they informed us that the restaurant didn't open until 6 pm. Shit. Well, we were hot and tired and feeling incrediably lazy. So, we decided to go across the street and have an espresso and chat for an hour. When the impressively long hour was up, we wandered around the corner and found a seat. We laughed about how lazy we were being, but figured what the hell??!!? So, we had a lovely 4 hour meal.... 5 if you include the hour for espresso! We started off with the breadsticks and fresh bruschetta with a few glasses of wine. Then I had the Gnocchi with Bolognese Sauce. It was ok.... actually I was a bit disappointed. But we decided to have dessert and a few more glasses of wine. We both ordered Tiramisu and it was fabulous!! So, that made up for the gnocchi. We finished off the meal with a strong, sweet apertif. It was great! We staggered back to the hostel and went to bed!

The next morning, we decided to go to the Vatican Museum together! I spent the morning lazing around and researching Bed Bugs (yea.... I know). We met up around 12:30 and caught the metro to Vatican City. When we arrived, the line wasn't too bad and we sped through it in about 20 minutes! We wandered through the museum, and slowly made our way to the Sistine Chapel. It was interesting and I'm certainly glad I went, although it was not quite what I expected. Of course, what ever is??!!? Anyway, the guards in the Sistine Chapel are crazy! They chant thier orders .....Nooooo - Pho - toooooos. Quiii-eeeeet Plllleeeeaaaase! And they would clap at people like they are children! It was very bizarre in ana amusing sort of way! Well, after we were done and at the point of making jokes, we felt it was time to leave. So, after seeing the Pinocateca Gallery, we caught the Metro back to Termini. We were starving and in dire need of sustanance! Neither of had eaten lunch! Ooops! Oh well! We grabbed a quick bite and then headed back to the hostel.

So, here we are! I must say that watching Jesus suffer and die repeatedly is quite exhausting! Dead Jesus, bloody Jesus, crucified Jesus, little baby Jesus! They even had a van Gogh Painting of Jesus??!!!?? I'm tired of Jesus paintings! I never want to see another christian painting again!! Oy vey! In all honesty, I'm tired of museums! I've been to so many places that have so many world class museums, that I'm a little burnt out! And Rome doesn't help the situation, either! Kate and I decided last night that Rome is a very angry city! And since I'm super sensitive to my environment, it's no wonder I'm not happy! We witnessed so many acts of pure rage during our 5 hour coffee break and dinner, that is was ridiculous! The Fury of Rome..... perhaps it's the heat. Who knows?? I mean Italians are already very passionate people, but when that passion turns dark.... watch out! It's a good thing they don't have guns over here.

Anyway... I'm rambling! I'm going out with Kate to get Gelato in a little while! That should be fun! I have no idea what I'm going to be doing tomorrow! My plans keep changing!! I'll let you know tomorrow!!

No comments: