Tuesday, May 15, 2007

In the Ghettoooooooo

So, yesterday was a pretty interesting day! I spend a bit of time in the morning updating everything and I even uploaded some pics! So, check my Myspace page, if you are interested!!

After I grabbed a quick lunch, I headed over to the train station and boarded a train headed West! I was going to Pisa! Everyone kept saying that there really isn't anything to see, except the Leaning Tower and the Duomo! Well, I was to find out for myself in about an hour! When I got on the train, I looked around. Wow, this was a ghetto train! It was filthy, hot, and looked about 50 years old! So, this is the Italian trains that I've heard so much about! Oh well! I took a seat and as the departure grew nearer, the train filled up. By the time the train pulled away from the station, it was packed! There were even people standing. Damn. And it was sooooo hot!! I was sweating buckets, even with all the windows open! So, a very long hour later, I rushed off the train and out into Pisa. Wow.... what a shithole! The buildings were decaying, it was filthy, and the people were rude. I continued walking, hoping that t was like Bratislava! The farther you walk, the prettier it gets. But, no. I got to the river and it was the ugliest body of water I have ever seen. Gross.... So, realizing that everyone had been right, I simply walked on. A few miles later, I came to the Roman Wall and some ruins. Cool, but the one in Chester is soooo much better!! Another 10 minutes of walking and I was at the Leaning tower and the Duomo! OK! This is prretty cool! The tower really is something to see and the Duomo was beautiful, although it was run down. So, after capturing the requisite photos anf buying some postcards, I headed back to the train station to go back to Florence! I decided that a well deserved Gelato was in order! So, I found a cheap shop and got a huge waffle cone for 2 Euro. Wayyyyy better than 7 Euro!! I thoroughly enjoyed my yummy gelato as I walked to the train station, ingnoring the ugliness around me. The train ride back to Florence was even more crowded than the first. Arg!! So, an annoying and hot hour later, I tumbled off the train and walked back to the hostel!

I was leaving in the morning and I needed to figure out where I was going! I ran into Eric in the dining room and he told me that Culture week had just started and that it would be going until until 20 May!!! Well, that was all I needed to know! Rome is where I'm off to this morning! 'm going to see all off the museums and festivals and performances I can!!! And, since it is all free, my budget will be bolstered!! Sweeeeeeeet! The Vatican isn't free, but no worries!! I'm probably going to take a tour to skip queues. It's only like 30 - 40 Euros and well worth it in my opinion. The queues in Italy are outrageous! But worth it, ultimately. And, because they only allow a certain number of people in at a time (hence the long queue), it makes it more enjoyable! So, bring a book, your journal, and some water and chill!

Well, I'm off to Roma!! They say all roads lead to Rome.... well, I will let you know!

No comments: