Wednesday, May 02, 2007

I sink you are in louve vis youra massah....

I'm in Vienna! And it's great!! A very cool city!! I left Salzburg early this morning, and boarded a very comfortable train headed East. I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying my First class railpass!

I got to Vienna around 1 pm and found my hostel without too much difficulty! The hostel is nice! Well, as nice as a hostel can be! I dumped my bags and headed out to discover Vienna! I'm staying in the "new town", so I decided to walk to Old Town instead of using the metro or trams. It was a really fun walk.... long, but fun! There were TONS of fun shops and lots of discounts stores! You know me and bargain shopping! After about 45 minutes, I found myself in the Museum Quartier! Gorgeous architecture! I continued walking into the Old Town, home to Sigmund Freud and classical culture! It was fabulous! Although the guys walking around in Mozart outfits peddling tickets for various shows was a bit tacky... well, it was still fun! I walked to the famous St. Stephen's Cathedral and it was stunning!! After wandering the platz for a bit, I decided to head back to the hostel and grab some dinner on the way. All of a sudden, I got very light-headed. So much so that I had to sit down. I actually thought I might faint. It scared the shit out of me. The pressure between my eyes was intense, so I am assuming it's sinus related. I probably caught whatever that Czech guy had... you know, the one that hacked on me for 3 hours on the way to Cesky Krumlov. Fuck! God, I'm going to have to get a TB test when I get back. Everyobe in Europe is sick. I 'll take it easy tomorrow. Once I felt a little better, I headed back to the hostel. I stopped at the first place I saw and had a quick dinner, then hopped on the Metro to go back. I figured I shouldn't push myself to walk the few miles back. I stoppe into the store to grab some water and fruit. I figure I need the vitamins, so I got some OJ, banana, and grapes. I stood in the water section for like 10 minutes desperately trying to remember what the word was for "still" water. Wow... nothing makes an intelligent, educated woman feel like a complete idiot than not being able to figure out the difference between still and sparkling water. And no, shaking the bottle doesn't help. Yes, I tried. I finally just grabbed one that had "Ohne" on the front. I was pretty sure that meant "without". And what do you know, I was right!! Yea!! I hate sparkling water. So, loaded down with fruit and water, I headed back to the hostel!

So, I'm going to take it easy tonight, maybe have a glass of red wine in the bar and go to bed early. God, I'm getting old. Tomorrow, I'm going to explore the eastern section of the city and see the Parliment building, Burg Theatre, and the Opera house. Oh, and I#m going to sit in a cafe and sip Viennese coffee! It should be great! Oh, by the way, Vienna is actually not that expensive! Lots of cool, cheap options!!

I was going to take a trip to Mauthausen (it's halfway between Vienna and Salzburg) on Friday, but the only way to get there is by train. So, I need to decide if I want to use my last extra travel day on the trip. Otherwise, I will go to Bratislava, Slovakia for the day! I cost like 12 Euro round trip!! And apparently, it is a very cool place! So, I'll let you know!

Well, I'm off off to check out the Viennese wine selection! Mmmmmm... I love reds! Internet is pretty cheap here, so I will update my blog again Friday!

No comments: