Friday, May 18, 2007

Aye Dios Mio!

Last night was amusing! now that all the Study abroad programs have let out, there are A LOT of Americans running about in the big bad European cities generally making asses out of themselves. And the ones at the hostel here in Rome are no exception. I went outside to smoke a ciggie and was met by 2 very young American boys. They were both drunk and attempting to drink more, but were having great difficulties opening there bottles. Oh, they were obnoxious but at least it was entertaining. A few girls I had met the previous evening wandered up and we started chatting. Of course the boys joined in and they conversation quickly turned south. Way south!! LOL! Suffice it to say that the Roman Catholic institution would not have approved!

This morning, I drug my ass and took forever to head out. I tried to get a refund for the hostel so that I could leave early, but they wouldn't budge. So, I changed my Eurostar departure so that I only have to spend a couple of hours in Paris and figured out what the hell I'm going to do over the next 4 days! I have decided that tomorrow, I'm going to go to Anzio. It's a small town on the Pontine coast just south of Rome. It has a lot of WWII sites and memorials, including the American cemetery. It's supposed to be nice. Then, on Monday, I'm going to go to Ostia Antica to explore the ruins. Apparently, it's more interesting than Pompeii and much less crowded. Not to mention closer! Then, on Tuesday (my final day in Rome), I will brave the Vatican once again to visit the Museo Vaticani and the Sistine Chapel. After all of that, I'm off to the UK!

After I figured out the next few days, I went and grabbed a bite to eat and made my way to the Spanish Steps & the Piazza Spagna. It was okay, but nothing special! I don't know why people think they are so great??!! In all honesty, they weren't all that attractive. Rome isn't attractive. I find Florence and the surrounding Tuscan countryside much more artistically appealing. I'm not alone, of course. Many artists and writers of all types have flocked to Tuscany.

Anyway, after pushing my way through the throngs of tourists, thieves, and beggars I was hot and annoyed. So, I hopped on the Metro and went back towards the hostel. I am in the middle o a siesta. I wish I could take a nap, but you know I can't sleep during the day!! Arg! I'll be heading out pretty soon. I'm going to get dinner at a local Trattoria. I am hoping that the rest of the evening is spent relaxing. I haven't been sleeping too well because the heat and my roommates. But we will see!

Well I'm off in search of homemade Gnocchi!

No comments: