Monday, May 14, 2007

Penis, Penis.... Everywhere!!

So, I woke up after 10 am on Sunday, still reeling from the traumas of the previous day! I chatted with the owner of the hostel and found out that I had actually lucked out by coming to Florence early!! I caught the last day of Culture Week and all the museums were FREE!!! So, after checking out the map and listening to her suggestions, I headed out towards l'Accademia to see Michelangelo's David! After waiting for 2 hours in the blazing Italian sun, I finally got in. I walked through the hallway that was filed with Jesus paintings - bloody Jesus, dead Jesus, tortured Jesus. Dear god, it was depressing. The antique musical instrument display was interesting. Then, I rounded the corner. Oh my god! There was David at the end of a long hallway standing magnificently under a glass cupola. Wow! The hallway was full of various pieces by Michelangelo, some finished some not. As I got close to the David, the detail took my breath away! From his hands to his ripped 6 pack, he was perfect! I walked all the around admiring this massive man and in awe at the artistic genius. I came around to the other side and gazed up at his face. The expression that Michelangelo was able to capture was brilliant. It was a look of fearful determination and resolve. The furrow of his brow, his eyes, everything. It was amazing. After going through the lqast bit, I headed out to grab lunch. After a quick bite, I headed towards the Duomo (Santa Maria Cathedral). En route, I ahppened to pass by an open air market. Oh, there was no way I could pass this up!! So, I headed in and spent the next 2 1/2 hours having a blast, haggling away with colorful market vendors! Ohm I got some bargains!! I got my neice and nephew each and embroidered t shirt with with Pinnochio on it and Italia! Very fun! I got a fabulous necklace for myself! It's fun and funky! I then came across a guy selling silver jewellry. I saw a bracelet that I liked and inquired about the price. He said 20 Euros! No way!! I didn?t like it that much and after some haggling , I walked away not even thinking of buying it. He called out ""Ok, 5 euros for you!" I stopped. Hmmmmm.... 5 euros is pretty good! So, I bought it. After I had paid, another vendor came over and asked how much in Italian. The guy answered and the other vendor, completely shocked, said in Italian, "For that American?!?" I was pleased and knew I had gotten a bargain! The last treasure was actually the most difficult to haggle. I wanted to get the kids either a Pinnochio marionette or jumping jack. I finally got them each a cute lttle Pinnochio jumping jack that was made in Italy for 2 Euros each! Yeaaaaa! Now, let me just say that there was tack everywhere!! The most common thing (hee hee) was David's penis!! They had it on EVERYTHING!! That boy really gets around!! I almost bought my mother a penis apron - you know she likes to cook!! But in the end, I did not!! LOL! So, after my successful bargain hunting, I felt that I deserved a Gelati. I was sweaty and gross and the cold ice cream would be wonderful! So, I pop into this little Gelateria and ordered a cone with Bounty Ice cream (chocolate and coconut - mmmmmm!) . I went to the cashier and he said 7 Euros. I nearly choked on the mouthful of coconut deliciousness. I thought about giving it back, but I had already licked it so I just paid with a grimace. Ouch. The cost of enjoying a Gelati in the shadow of the Duomo! It was wonderful though and as I enjoyed my gelati, I wandered around the glorious Cathedral!! It really is amazing!! So, after the Duomo, I headed towards the Uffizi and finished every last bite of that cone! As I approached the Piazza dell Signora, All the sculptures took me by surprise! I knew that they had a replica of David, but I had no idea that they had replicas of all the major sculptures! I took my pictures and, as I was snapping a photo of the fake David, I couldn't help but think aboiut how....fake... the fake was! There is absolutely no comparison and if you skipped seeing the real thing and settled for the fake.... well, you really missed out. If you find yourself here in the future, make damn sure that you spring for the real deal!! It's worth it! I headed over the horrific 2 + hour line for the Uffizi. OK... the Uffizi, while it is an impressive collection of Renaissance art, was not really worth the wait!! Just a bunch of bloody or dead or tortured or mutilated Jesus paintings. Ok.... that's an exaggeration, but I was tired and probably suffering from sun stroke at that point. There is actually some wonderful pieces, but they are very spread out and only 1 or 2 from the major artists.

After buying a phone card and take away dinner, I sat in the Piazza di San Marco and ate my dinner enjoying the Florentine evening! I headed back to the hostel and met some really cool people, including Eric who is a PA for the show 30 Rock with Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin! We talked shop for most of the evening (some interesting info which I will share later when I see you) and then hung out with a bunch of people drinking and having fun! So, my 1st day in Florence was wonderful, despite my rocky introduction to Italy!! Oh, Italian men are certainly aggressive!! I have had so many men tell me that I am beeeeuuutiful and that they luuuuuvvvvee me!! Bella!! Bellisima! Ohh ohhh! Wow! You know I like it!! LOL!

Anyway, today should be interesting! I'm about to head out to Pisa to check out the Leaning Tower! Wooo hooo! I leave tomorrow for a destination yet to be determined! I've had so many suggestions, that can't decide!! Eric and I are going to be in Rome, so we are going to hang out! It's really cool, if random, to run into people you've met on your travels! I love it!! Especially when it's some unexpected place, like a store in Bratislava!!

Well, I'm off! It takes about an hour to get to Pisa, but really the only thing to see is the Duomo and the tower. That's it! So, hopefully, I will be able go to Piazzale Michelangelo to watch the Tuscan sun set over Florence!

No comments: