Sunday, April 08, 2007

So, Here's What I've Learned about People... & Myself

I can't believe that I've been in Europe for 2 weeks already! I've seen and experienced so much, but it feels like it has flown by! I hope my whole trip doesn't fly by! Although, I do wish this day would go quicker!

Today is Easter, and it's been a terribly dull day! I'm going out of my mind with boredom. Especially since, for the most part, the past 2 weeks have been crammed full of sightseeing and general merriment! Over the past 4 days, I ran about seeing everything here in Edinburgh, thinking that the city would be shut down for Easter. It really isn't. Everything is simply keeping Sunday hours. So, I did my laundry and went through my pack and have kind of roamed around aimlessly. I would journal, but this hostel is so damn crowded that I can't find a quiet place, let alone any privacy. This hostel SUCKS!!! It is the worst place i have stayed! It is loud, filthy, and full of drunkards and thieves! I booked a 38 bed dorm room which was the dumbest idea I have ever had! Last night was the worst! People were stumbling in drunk at all hours. The whole bathroom reeked of vomit this morning and apparently, someone had chunked in the hallway. there were people passed out all over the place... even on top of the pool tables. There is hard house music blaring through the hostel day and night. There is no escaping it. It is definitely a "party" hostel. And some miscreant stole my food! Oh, I was pissed! And the hostel could have cared less! All of the other hostels I've stayed take that very seriously! It was only about £4 worth of stuff, but still! That's like $8 USD that comes out of my budget! I had to go back to the store! When I told reception, they said that it happens all the time because there are so many people at the hostel. Plus, it's right next to the bar, so drunk people go and help themselves. Fuck.... I'm getting old.

Any-hoo.... I've learned a lot since being in Europe. I've learned that all tourists are obnoxious in their own special way. Americans are definitely the worst - if for no other reason than arrogance and disrespect. Asians are close on their heels. And Spanish people are horrifically loud, which came as a surprise to me. Not really sure why.

I've learned that I'm getting rigid in my old age. And I prefer a modicum of comfort. I much prefer a few friends, some fine wine, and brilliant conversation to a bar. I hate crowds, but love cities - esp. London and NYC. I've outgrown partying, although I think that happened quite a few years ago at this point. I need to be in an Urban, intellectual environment that offers a bit of everything, or I will get very bored! One of the reasons I hate Richmond so damn much, I suspect. And, perhaps most importantly, for my creativity to really be on point, I need stability and somewhere where I can be alone and in my head. I'm not one of those free spirited, nothing phases them, the world is my oyster, I-can-be-creative-when-living-in-a-box kind of artists. Oh no, no, no. I'm of the brooding, overly sensitive, borderline mad, reclusive variety. Lovely. Oh well... no sense in pretending to be otherwise. Fodder for my art. I simply need to bear this in mind when charting my next course of action. It certainly helps explain why I have not written anything of consequence in many moons. (I'm in a weird mood. Can you tell I'm bored?) Prior to Steve, despite all the turmoil, I was doing well as an artist. Wow... Almost 6 years. That's a long time to be drowning in creative purgatory.

Moving on.... the first day I got to this shitty new hostel, this Italian guy named Andre happened upon me. He has not left me alone since. My god, I want to smack him! He's like a lost puppy. Yesterday, I was on the computers for awhile uploading pictures, and he sat there chomping his crisps - with his mouth open, no less- and annoying the hell out of me for at least an hour. Then, I told him that i was heading out to get some chips. For a normal person, this should have been taken as a very polite way of saying Fuck Off. no such luck. He decided that he would come along and get something for his supper. Being a decent human being, I didn't argue. And this is how it went the entire evening! I finally had to be a bit firm with him, just to get away! I wasn't mean - he didn't deserve that. He's lonely. But Oy Vey! So, I've tried to hide as much as possible today! Not that has worked all that well... he's in one of the 38 beds in my room. Oh wonderful.

Anyway... despite this hateful hostel, I'm having a great time! Edinburgh is a great little city. Although Scotland is a bit rougher than England and they have a higher crime rate. Sirens are common. The Old Town is brilliant! I love all the Closes and Wynds. And the countryside is breathtaking! I'm looking forward to Chester and North Wales! And of course, my Stonehenge adventure!!!!!!!!

So, I will be heading out tomorrow and will arrive in Chester at about 3 pm or so. My plan is to spend Monday evening and Tuesday exploring Chester and then spend the whole day in North Wales on Wednesday. I need to be in Salisbury by Friday for my Stonehenge Circle Access! But I'm sure I'll blog again before that! Tada for now (tada is what they say in West cornforth!)

No comments: