Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Medieval Disney

Chester is pretty cool! It may not be very big, but they certainly pack a lot into such a small space! I got into town around 3 pm, and after checking into the hostel and dumping my bags, I hit the town - pretty much my MO! I headed straight for the city centre, which was about an 8 minute walk from the hostel. Chester did not seem like anything special until I caught a glimpse of the clock tower! It's the beginning of the medieval city centre! Very cool! It's a brilliant fusion of old and new! There was a Disney Store in this old black and white timbered building! Medieval Disney!! So, I wandered around and window shopped. I was on a quest to find a decent pair of walking sandals. It was really warm and I realized that I will need a pair sooner rather than later. I should of brought a pair with me. I thought about it, but decided that it would be cold and rainy in March and april. I was wrong. Oh well. Shopping is turning into an adventure! I headed back to the hostel around 8pm without shoes I'm afraid. My quest continues!

The next day, I was up and out well before 9 am. My first stop was the Post Office. I really needed to ship a package back to the States, but it was going to be like $60 USD, so I decided it could wait until I got to Paris. Perhaps with the Euro, it will be a bit more reasonable! So, I continued my quest for sandals, but the only ones that were acceptable were WAY too expensive! So, once again, I decided to wait until i got to Paris. So, abandoning my mission for the time being, I headed to the Cathedral. It was lovely! I then walked over to the Roman Amphitheatre and the ruins of St. John's. Then I walked to the edge of the River Dee and got on the Roman Wall! I walked the entire perimeter and it was VERY cool! Tired and stinky, I headed back to the hostel.

My last night in chester was uneventful! I hung out and chatted with a bunch of different people! I made friends with quite a few, including a German couple who I'm going to hang out with once I get to Berlin! I checked out the next morning and headed to Salisbury! Stonehenge is only a couple of days away!!

No comments: