Friday, April 06, 2007

Roslyn Chapel and Da Vinci Manure....

I headed over to the new hostel this morning and got checked in without too much of a hassle. It's not as nice as the other one, but for £8 a night, what do you expect?!? Anyway, after dropping off my bags, I set of to discover the New Town. I don't know why it's called that, because it's incredibly old and rich with history as well! It is more of a residential area, which means things are a little cheaper.

While i was exploring, I found a store called £ Mania. It is essentially a dollar store and I found some cool little trinkets! I have already checked out £ Stretcher, which is like Big Lots! I have a knack for finding these kinds of places! So, after a bit of bargain hunting, I decided to take on a more historical challenge. I hopped on a bus headed for Roslyn.

Once outside of Edinburgh, the Scottish countryside unfolds. It is gorgeous! And the bus ride did not take that long! I was dropped off on a quaint little village street in Roslyn. I followed the sign to Roslyn Chapel. Walking down this pathway, the scenery took my breath away. On the way, I passed by a small farm that was offering "Da Vinci Manure" for 50p a bag!! Ewwwwwww!! Gross!! LOL!

I finally arrived at the Chapel and was disappointed to find scaffolding. But it's part of the restoration and conservation efforts. Once I stepped inside, nothing else mattered. It is UNBELIEVABLE and there are no words! There is SO MUCH to see and process that you do not know where to look first! Plus, it is a working Episcopal church, so they were having Good Friday services the entire day. It was an interesting experience! And the history is incredible! I mean it is almost 1000 years old!! It has seen so much! And you can look at pictures of the Chapel all day, but it pales in comparison to actually stepping in and being there! After a pensive bus ride, I found myself back in the New Town.

I am having the best time! I can't believe that I've been here almost 2 weeks! And I really can't believe that I will be in Stonehenge, in the Circle, in ONE WEEK!!! Next Friday is the day! Then, I head on to Paris!! It is weird to think that i will be in France in just over a week!! Yeaaaa!! Also, I found out some information regarding work permits and such. It looks like London may be within my reach, which is VERY exciting! Even if it's only for a year, it would be INCREDIBLE to work and study in the birth place of Theatre!!! That would make me very happy.... something I haven't been in awhile.

No comments: