Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Market, the Stones, & Me

So, I made it to Salisbury.... FINALLY! The train ride was an ordeal! The hostel was nice, but it was way out of the way, up a hill, and in the woods! And it was VERY expensive!! But I made up for that by eating a REALLY big breakfast and bagging up enough to make sandwichs for lunch and dinner. So, it was ok.

My first full day was pretty busy! I got an early start and headed to the Tourism office. I got a good city map and my Explorer bus ticket for Stonehenge and Avebury. I then headed over to the Cathedral and explored the Close. It was gorgeous and the Spire is definitely tall! The rest of the afternoon was spent window shopping and wandering the narrow streets and marketplaces! I was on another quest to find a camera neck strap. Since it was actually bordering on hot, I was no longer wearing my jacket. So, I had no where to put my camera. I did find on eventually, and boy do I look like a tourist with it around my damn neck. But oh well. If I didn't do that, I'd bang it into something and/or leave it somewhere! The rest of the evening was spent hanging out with this cool german girl I met and planning my big day!@! I have no idea how I slept that night!!! I was so excited!

the next morning I woke up bright and early and ready to go! I've decided to devote and entire entry to Stonehenge and Avebury, so I'm just going to continue on. After the amazing day I had, I crashed out! The next morning, I was supposed to leave Salisbury and head to Paris. But there was some issue with the trains and I ended up having to take the bus. It was half to cost, so ok! But the next bus did not leave until 3 pm. So, for about 5 hours ona hot day, I wandered around Salisbury with my heavy ass backpack. I went to the market - the one that has been going on for nearly 1000 years - and found a watch for 5 pounds. Then I sat in the park like a hobo for a while, until i spyed a photo shop! I used the remaining time to have my photos put on a disk so I cleared out 2 SD cards. Yes, I had 2 gigs of photos in about 2 1/2 weeks! Hmmm.. Anyway... I got on the bus at 3pm, and the damn A/C was BROKEN!!! So, foe 3 1/2 hours, we ROASTED and sweated like pigs. We were all miserable!! No one could do anything but stare blankly ou the window, desperately wishing they opened. The interior thermometer said it was 28 C inside but it felt even hotter. Well, when we got to London, we all rushed out of the bus! I had booked a room at the Astor Museum Inn, so I was happy to know exactly where I was going! I stopped by Waterloo to pick up my eurostar tix, then went straight to bed... I had a VERY early train to catch! Paris here I come!!!!

No comments: