Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Stepped in Vomit....

So, I'm in Prague! I stepped off the train Wednesday afternoon, dragging my ass. The hostel is ok and the location is great! Right in the center of Old Prague. Despite my fatigue, I decided to head out and check out the town! I wandered the narrow cobblestone street and made my way to the Astronomical Clock. Every hour, this clock that is hundreds of years old, comes a live! Little men dance about and a skeleton plays music! It lasts about 30 seconds and the crowd cheered. Wow.... it was very anti climactic. But cool! You know I love kitch! Anyway, I meandered through the streets as the sun slowly set. I was searching for sustinence, but the prices were frightening! Oh god! I thought Prague was cheap??!!?? This is NOT cheap - this is actually expensive!! After an hour or so of searching, I was exhausted and starving! I hadn't eaten in like 10 hours! So, I stopped at this cafe and paid about $15 USD (300 Kc) for a shitty dinner! It came with like 5 chips - literally! OUCH! I nearly cried. So, I had to get cash because the hostel did not accept credit cards. I walked to the ATM and pulled out 3000 Kc (about $150 USD). There was a man lurking by the corner. I noticed him as I walked to the ATM, and felt I needed to keep an eye on him. Boy, was I right. As I rounded the corner, he stepped behind me. Being the savvy NYer that I am, I stopped to give him the opportunity to pass. He seemed to be taken aback by this. He turned and started to go back around the corner. I continued on my way. Knowing better than to let my guard down, I knew immediately that he had started to come my way again. This time, I stopped dead in my tracks and spun around to look him in the eye. He stopped and I took my glasses off. He turned and quite quickly walked in the opposite direction. I put my glasses back on and continued on my way, confindent that he would not bother me.

So, after much searching, I have come to the realization that Prague is a very expensive city. My dreams of eating well and seeing fabulous shows and concerts have been destroyed. So, I found a grocery store. Uh oh... I don't speak Czech, let alone read it! FUCK! So, I got some orange juice (I think) and some pasteries. Hey, at least I'll get my sugar fix! By the time I left, I was completely exhausted! So, I was in a bit of a daze walking back towards my hostel. Now, I had to cross this rather large square to get to the alley leading to my hostel. I took a diagonal path - the most direct route - and ended up walking right into a huge pile of what looked like vomit. I felt it squish and splash up on my foot. Aloud, I said, "That did not just happen??!!??" FUUUUCCCCKKKK! So, I hobbled back to the hostel, eyes watering. Not to worry... all was well with a good long shower and a lot of cocnut creme douche.

This morning, I was woken up early by a girl who had to catch an early flight. God! So, I decided to go ahead and get up. I spent the morning in the Jewish Quarter. I went to the Cemetary which was very cool, but expensive!!! It cost about $15 USD to get in!! And it was REALLY crowded. You know how i feel about crowds! Prague is more expensive than Amsterdam! What the fuck??!!? Anyway, the cemetary was intense. So many people.... wow. And to think that the Jewish population in the Czech republic has been reduced to nothing. Wow....

In a pensive mood, I fought my through the crowds and out into the street. I got a cheap pizza slice ($2.50 USD) and headed for Charles Bridge. It was beautiful and I did manage to rub St. John - with my left hand, of course! Prague Castle loomed ahead, and I huffed and puffed my way up the steep hills and a million stairs! The castle grounds were lovely. I walked all around the free area, but I did not go into the actual castle. It cost like $25 USD!! Oy vey! Oh well, I had fun anyway! Except that my feet were KILLING me!! So, I hobbled my way back to the Old Town, where I wandered a bit and ran some errands before heading back to the hostel! The evening has been cool! I hung out and watched Czech music videos with the Lithuania philosopher who is in my room! He is fabulous!

Any-hoo... I am going to Kutna Hora tomorrow! I'm really looking forward to the Bone Church!! I'll write all about it tomorrow night! I decided to cut my stay in Prague short, so I will be heading out to Cesky Krumlov on Saturday. Since the rest of the Czech Republic really is very cheap, I may stay a few days and explore South Bohemia. I'll figure it out when I get there! I do think I'm going to treat myself to a truly private room, either in a hotel or a pension. I can get a nice room with my OWN shower for about $25 USD. I need a good night's sleep!!! And since I'm a few days ahead, I think I'm going to go to Switzerland!!!! Either that, or I will do some more in Bavaria or in Italy. I'll let you know when I decide!! Despite the expense, the blisters, and stepping in vomit, I'm having a blast!! :) I love europe!!!

No comments: