Friday, March 09, 2007

My Pilgrimage to Stonehenge - Amazing News!!

I am SOOOOOOO excited!!! I have made arrangements for me to have "Special Access" to Stonehenge on Friday the 13th at sunset - after the tourists have left from their roped off prison!!!! What does that mean, you ask?

Well, it means that I will be granted entry to the ACTUAL stone circle!! I will be able to walk in and all around the stones! I will even be able to TOUCH the stones!!!!!!! I only have 1 hour, but it will be AMAZING!!!!! I will be able to watch the sun set over the 5000 years old stone circle!! Can you tell I'm excited??!!?? The vast majority of people who visit Stonehenge are only allowed to walk along this roped off pathway and admire Stonehenge from a distance. However, a select handful of people are allowed special acces a day, at sunrise and sunset.

So, my plan for the day is to visit Avebury in the morning. Avebury is the site of an even larger stone circle / ceremonial ground. Although not quite as dramatic as Stonehenge. It encircles a huge portion of the town itself! You are allowed to walk amongst the stones here. So, it's a great place to really feel the experience. I'll putter around and take an early lunch. I'll probably pack a picnic and enjoy the English countryside! As long as it is not too wet! Then I will head over to Stonehenge and enjoy the area in preparation for entering the circle. After my hour is up, I will grab a quick bite and head back to Salisbury. It will be an AMAZING day - one I will never forget!!

No comments: