Thursday, March 29, 2007

I Heart London!

Let me just start with saying that I absolutely LOVe it here! From the start, I have been very comfortable here. I have not gotten lost once and the Tube is very easy to navigate. I must have lived here in another life... perhaps that is the draw!

Any-hoo... My flight was on time Monday and we touched down a bit after 7 am London time. The flight was horrible and didn't sleep much at all. So, I was exhausted, but the adrenaline pumping and I didn't notice much. I went through Immigration and Customs without a hitch. I wasn't searched or anything. I stopped by the tourist info desk and was talked into buying this damn Big Bus ticket. So, not worth it! But oh well. So, after that I turned myself around and headed for the doors. I stepped out and took my first breath of European air. Heavy with exhaust and anticipation... I loved it. After my first ciggie in a new land, i headed back in to catch the Tube to the hostel.

The ride was not that long and I enjoyed the scenery. On the train, this little girl was with her father and after the conductor announced all the stations, she turned to her father and said (please read this in a high pitched little girl british accent),"Daddy, are we going to Cockfosters?" I nearly laughed out loud. She was only about 4, perhaps five, and she was clutching a pink princess lunchbox. She immediately reminded me of Chloe. Once I arrived at the Goucester Rd. station, I headed up to the street. My first thought was that it reminded of NYC and it still does. Cosmopolitan, eclectic, and rich with history and life. My hostel was only a few blocks away, but I wasn't allowed to check in until after 2 pm. So, I splashed some water on my face, locked my pack to the chair, and hit the streets. I had a bit of an adventure finding a toilet, but I will spare oyu the details. I stumbled into the Natural History Museum and all was well. I walked back to the Big Bus stop and caught the bus. I rode on the open top level and took in the city. We rode all around Kensington and I got off at the Marble arch in Hyde park. From there, I caught the red line bus and rode up top through Soho, Picadilly, and Covent Garden... all the way to Westminster. That is where I got off and I thought that I would visit Westminster Abbey. However, it was closed. So, I walked all around Parliament and saw Big Ben. Then I headed to Westminster Pier and caught the boat headed to Tower Bridge. It was included in the price of the Big Bus ticket, so why not! I enjoyed the view from the river Thames. The cruise ended at Tower Bridge and I walked over to the Tower of London. As I walked through the gates, I touched the heavy dark doors, running my hand along hundreds of years of history and realized that I was in London. It was crowed and over run by French children on a school trip. I rode past the Crown Jewels on a human conveyor belt and thought it odd. I strolled the various towers, attempting to absorb the history and drama of it all. When fatigue finally overpowered adrenaline, I found my way to the tube, where I was given an Oyster Card and added credit to the account. I headed back to the hostel, and after showering (an adventure unto itself) and figuring out what I wanted to see the next day, I collapsed.

My second day in London started bright and early! I woke around 7:30 am of my own accord. I got ready and was out the door by 9 am. I walked to the V & A Museum, but it did not open until 10 am. Then I walked to Harrod's, but they didn't open until 10 am. Sensing a pattern, I decided to walk to Buckingham palace, as I was to see the changing of the guards today! I got to Buckingham Palace about 10 am and there was already a crowd. So, I decided to stake my place and simply wait. It was the second sunny day in a run in London, so people were out in force. Anyone who knows me knows how I dislike such crowds. But I stood my ground until about 11:15 or so. The police were preparing the crowds for the ceremony and apparently, I was in front of a gate. So, needless to say, I was moved, and I was pissed. I pretty much missed the entire thing! So, lesson number 1: If you go to Buckingham palace, make sure you are NOT infront of one of the gates that open and get there EARLY - esp. if it is a nice day.

I walked around the corner, lightly fuming to myself, and headed to the Royal Mews. It is in the back of the Palace and is the Royal Stables, Carriage House, and Riding School! It was much more enjoyable and the carriages were lovely! No ugly Americans here! The whole Changing of the Guards fiasco was made worse by "Ugly Americans." Loud, obnoxious, pushy, arrogant people who seemed to be everywhere. They make me cringe and unfortunately, they have colored many experiences. But more on that later....

I strolled through St. James Park, which is gorgeous, and headed to the Guards Museum and Downing St. After snapping pictures of the rather nondescript residence of Tony Blair, I headed to Trafalgar Sq. and ate lunch on the steps of the National Gallery. I headed into the Gallery and thoroughly enjoyed the museum. It smelled of oils and canvass. I then headed over to the National Portrait Museum and walked through the Faces of Fashion exhibit. I wasn't overly impressed with the general exhibit, so I only spent about an hour there. It was getting late in the afternoon, so I decided to stroll through Picadilly Circus, into Soho, and through Covent Garden. After Oxford Circus, I found a grocery store and spent about an hour or so having fun looking at the various nibbles. I had a fun conversation with a punky brit about digestive biscuits and bought enough food to last the duration of my stay in London. I went back to the hostel, had dinner, and was preparing to go to bed when 4 half lit Scottish boys stumbled into the room. They had just come from a concert and were clutching brown bags of cider. They asked if I would mind if they drank in the room. So... I thought about it for a brief moment. I could demand that they go down to the lounge and simply go to bed, or I can have a laugh and chat. So, I said no worries and they offered me a Strongbow Cider. I was surprised to find that I liked it! So, we talked and drank until about 3:30 am. The room was spinning went I finally went to bed.

Ok... so that's is the adventures of my first couple of days. I will write more in a couple of days and fill you in about my last couple of days in London!!

No comments: