Friday, March 30, 2007

Don't Rain on My Parade....

So, my 3rd day in London was off to a sleepy start! After my night of boozin' with the Scottish boys, I was bit out of sorts and didn't get out of bed until after 9am. I didn't even get down the stairs until a bit after 10am, so I missed the free breakfast. No worries, the breakfast sucks anyway. My feet were still hurting from all the walking I had done so I took the Tube to Westminster Abbey. The line was not too terrible, so I was lucky. When I left, the line was nearly at the street. It was still crowded and I can't imagine even more people crowding in. So, I began around the Royal Tombs. I was attempting to revel in the history, when the Americans flooded in. Now this will further illuminate the "Ugly American" comment I made in the last post! The Abbey is an amazing place, even for a non Christian like myself. It contains centuries of history and human drama. The Americans were loud and obnoxious, their voices resounding off the abbey walls. I could not escape it. They were everywhere. And the mother and daughter duo that seemed to be following were the worst! The daughter was a student at some college and and was making comments about useless she thought European history was and so forth. They were speaking so loud that everyone around could here them. I tried to walk away and skipped several tombs because I wanted to get away, but I could still hear them. That's how loud they were being. I tried to block it out, but I went into the next and there were different Americans lounging LOUNGINg on one of the tombs!! It was incredibly disrespectful! At that point I gave up any attempt to get away, and simply went through the Abbey. I made a bee line for Poet's corner and of course the memorial to Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin. I found it ironic that I was in a christian church viewing a memorial to scientist, considering the church set out to murder all free thinkers and scientists and imprisoning those they did not kill. but that is a blog for another time.

I enjoyed the rest of the Abbey and thought of the many people who have walked the halls. After the Abbey, I walked across Westminster Bridge to visit the Florence Nightingale Museum. t was OK, but nothing worth mentioning. She was an amazing woman, but everyone knows that. So I headed over to the London Eye and took my flight. It was cool, but I'm not certain it was worth almost $30. After my flight, I walked across to Jubilee gardens and had a picnic lunch of extra mature English cheddar, organic Toffee yogurt, banana, and carrots. Yes, I'm eating very healthy! i continued to walk along the Thames. I stopped by the National Theatre, which was fabulous and I plan on taking in a show when i return, before heading to the Tate Modern. It was a wonderful museum! I really enjoyed seeing Jackson Pollack's "Birth" in person. I had already seen Degas, Van Gogh, Monet, Manet, etc etc at the National Gallery, but I have not yet seen any Chagall?? I love the modern artists. I wanted to go to the Dali Universe, but it was a bit expensive, and as much as I love Dali, I had to pass. Perhaps when I come back....

Anyway, after I finished at the Tate Modern, I walked across the Millennium Bridge to St. Paul's Cathedral, but it was closed for some special ceremony. So, I walked back over the Millennium Bridge and headed for the Globe Theatre. I took a tour and it was great! they were in rehearsals for an original play, which was fabulous! I also chatted with a guy about working in London! Very exciting! Since it was getting late at this point, I decided to head back to the hostel. I walked down to Blackfriar's Bridge and crossed the Thames (again) and caught the tube back to Kensington.

I decided to stop by the store to pick up some water and turkey for dinner. That's where I ran into Al. I was looking at Pita, and he started chatting me up. He was actually cute and I seriously considered going out with him. He walked around the store with me and suggested a nice Irish Cider for me to try. I have not figured out why so many men are hitting on me... am I different here? Are the men different? Or is it a bit of both? Hmmmmmm...... Anyway, I was so exhausted that I ended up in bed fairly early.

My last full day in London began early and marked the FIRST day of rain! I headed out to Kew Gardens early and arrived right as they were opening! Please see my separate post regarding my visit 2 posts below! It was wonderful! So, after wandering about Kew for a bit, I headed over to Notting Hill. It was fabulous! I love all of the shops and it had a definite artsy vibe. I walked up and down Portobello Rd. and a bunch of other streets I can't remember! Then I headed over to Kensington Palace. en route, I passed by the various embassies, which were amazing. Kensington Palace was actually a bit disappointing. It was interesting to be in the place where Princess Dianna lived. The King and Queen Apartments were interesting as well. And the King's staircase was gorgeous. I headed out hoping to be able to walk through the garden and maze, but it was raining a bit too hard and I was exhausted, so I headed back to the hostel. After all, I was leaving in the morning and needed to organize my bags for the Journey! I must say that the hostel SUCKED monkey's ass. I had to change rooms 3 times and there was no water on the 4th and 5th floors (where I was)!! They are still in construction! They shouldn't be open yet, but oh well. Lesson learned. But all hostels are going to a bit grubby. Goes with the Territory!

No comments: