Thursday, March 29, 2007

Kew Gardens....

Ok... I decided to write a separate post about my trip to Kew Gardens. It was unbelievable! I spent about 4 hours rambling the various pathways. I got there about 9:30 am right as they were opening, so I was pretty much alone. It was a bit dreary today, but in a way, it added to the environment. A light misty fog settled over the gardens and the quiet was inescapable . I wound my way through the gardens and purposefully veered away from the main paths, often opting for the dirt walkways. They were generally the best all around. I walked through Badger Sett, which is a man made badger den and strolled past the Queen's former country home. I then sat on a bench beside the Lily Pond and had a picnic lunch with the ducks, geese, and swans. There were so many birds, most of which I had never seen before. Sitting beside this pond, quietly reflecting, it is not difficult to understand why such places has offered inspiration to so many poets. Walden, Emerson, Thoreau....

After I had my lunch, I found another dirt path leading in the general direction of Victoria Gate. A few steps in and around a bend, it was like I was transported to another place and another time. I thought my grandmother and started to cry. I'm sure she loved the garden....
After I composed myself, I continued down the path, crossing under the Ruined Arch and ultimately finding my way back to Victoria Gate.

The gardens are wonderful! If you ever find yourself in London, you must go. Even if you are not into gardening per say, you will find the place magical. Assuming, of course, you have a soul....

No comments: